How safe are Europe’s prisons for staff and those detained in prisons?
25-26-27 February 2015
RCN Headquarters, London
- Report of EPSU activities and update on EU legal framework on health and safety - by Nadja Salson
- European prisons: challenging environments?
by David Sheehan
- Prison staff perspectives: initial findings of an EPSU survey - Labour Research Department - by Lionel Fulton
- Sharps Injuries Prevention
A step in the right direction? – the experiences in healthcare
by Kim Sunley
- Presentation by Frans Carbo, FNV Netherlands
- Statement by Dr Linda Harris, Chair NHS England Health and Justice Clinical Reference Group
- Presentation by Adrian Neagoe, SNLP, Romania
- Presentation Supporting Prison Staff, Dr Liz Walsh, Associate Professor, University of Leeds - Chair, RCN Nursing in Criminal Justice
We are pleased to invite you to the next meeting of the EPSU prison services network entitled How safe are Europe’s prisons amid public budget cuts?
It will take place on London at the headquarters of the Royal College of Nursing (RCN), 20 Cavendish Square, London WIG 0RN.
The Royal College of Nursing (RCN) will host and co-organise the event.
The draft agenda is attached.
As the title indicates, it will focus on health and safety, both for prison staff and inmates, and role of trade unions and collective bargaining against a background of deep budget cuts in many European countries.
The meeting will start on Wednesday 25 February at 13:30 with a visit of a prison in London. The meeting point will be at the RCN Headquarter
(see http://www.londontown.com/LondonStreets/cavendish_square_7f3.html/ for area map).
Transport to and from the prison will be organised.
It will end on Friday 27 February 2015 at 13:00 and will be followed by a lunch hosted by RCN.
RCN has assisted us in ensuring the services of NYS corporate agency to take care of our accommodation needs in hotels near to the RCN Headquarters (or on direct public transport routes), on an individual basis. Payment will be due to the hotel on departure.
Our contact person is contact Mike Hobbs at +44 1904 420282, firstname.lastname@example.org.
We request that you make your own reservation through NYS corporate agency using the attached reservation request form. We remind you that EPSU does not make the hotel booking, forms must be returned to NYS at the above address.
As the meeting is in central London, hotel prices will be at least 115 EUR/night.
All hotels selected are within one public transport (underground or bus) from RCN headquarters. You will be informed of the hotel details and cancellation / no show policy at the time of booking.
The deadline for reservations is 11 February 2015 at the very latest. After this date we cannot guarantee prices or availability of rooms.
For EPSU members in order of their affiliation obligations from countries under 100% on the ‘5 band’ index, EPSU will refund travel expenses on the basis of one delegate per country up to a maximum of €500. Rules are in appendix.
RCN will host dinner on 26 February and lunches on the days of the Conference (26 and 27 February). Please inform the secretariat if you have any dietary restrictions.
We refer you to http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/travel-to-london/airport for information on transport to and from London airports.
Interpretation will be in English and French and a 3rd language to be determined after the registration deadline.
The attached participation form includes a section concerning passport information for the prison visit. Please complete the form and return it to the EPSU secretariat (email@example.com) by 19 January 2015 at the very latest.
- Invitation letter (EN/FR/DE/ES/SV/RU)
- LC N° 15 - Revised Draft agenda, documents and practical information
- Draft Programme (EN/FR/DE/ES/SV/RU)
Revised Draft Programme (EN only)
- Participants list (27 February)
- List of prohibited articles for prison visits
- Registration form & Financial assistance rules
- Hotel reservation form
- Map of London underground
585 users have voted.