Public service trade unions, including SDLSN and HSMSS-MT, have expressed major concerns at the attempt by the government to rush to set up a new pay system covering the 240,000 workers in the public sector. The unions argue that there are many factors at play covering different groups of workers that make it impossible to complete negotiations by the end of June. The government says that the changes are needed as part of the reforms required by the European Union for Croatia to access funds from the EU’s Recovery and Resilience Facility. The unions are worried that legislation will be put through too quickly and too many issues will be left to be determined by decrees after the legislation has been adopted. The unions highlight several challenges not least how to address long-term problems of low pay for some workers and how to include pay incentives that begin to tackle staff shortages.
Unions express concern over push for new pay system
More like this
The French government has announced plans for a significant extension of performance-related pay (PRP) across the civil service. At the moment only a small group of senior civil service has a PRP element in their salary. New arrangements will cover around 21,600 civil servants next year and by 2012 nearly 200,000 will have a PRP as part of their pay. The additional payment will be made up by a job-related premium (60%) set by each ministry while the remaining 40% will be entirely related to the individual’s performance. The CFDT and FSU federations have warned of the risks of having pay
Last month, the leadership of the UPOZ trade union representing administration, judicial system and civil society organizations met with the minister for labour for the first time. Top of the agenda was the branch collective agreement with the union expressing concerns about its application and in particular a clause about the payment of a holiday allowance. However, the union also raised other issues in relation to the agreement and social dialogue, including its right to be consulted over the state budget. EPSU has written to the prime minister expressing support for UPOZ and calling on him
(June 2017) The three main confederations have expressed their concern over some of the elements of the new government's proposals for reforming labour law. The details won't be published until the end of June but already the unions have raised issues with plans to rebalance collective bargaiing towards the company level, reform workplace representation and reduce compensation for redundancy. They argue that they see little in the proposals to benefit workers and remain unconvinced that reducing employment protection will boost job creation. A process of consultation is planned for the summer