(26 November 2008) A report commissioned by the European Federation of Public Service Unions (EPSU)
This paper is a summary of three reports commissioned by the European Federation of Public Service Unions (EPSU) dealing with the subject of public-private partnerships (PPPs) in Europe.
It covers the development of PPPs and sets out a framework for:
- a critical evaluation of PPP proposals;
- positive initiatives for the improvement of public services and strengthening of the role of the public sector, as alternatives to PPPs; and
- ways in which trade unions in Europe have negotiated protection for their workforces under PPPs.
Each section deals with relevant EU law and policies.
Short TABLE OF CONTENTS
2. EU LAW AND POLICIES IN RELATION TO PPPS
3. CLAIMS AND MYTHS ABOUT PPPS
4. EVALUATING PPP PROPOSALS
5. ALTERNATIVES TO PPPS
6. PUBLIC SERVICE WORKERS AND PPPS
7. BIBLIOGRAPHY 8. NOTES
full summary report: Public-Private Partnerships (PPPs) - Summary paper by David Hall:
- Alternatives to PPPs: positive action for in-house services
- Protecting workers in PPPs
- Critique of PPPs