“Quality Public Services - Quality of Life”
A campaign for an EU framework directive on Services of General Interest
2nd EPSU Trade Union Journalists seminar
22 June 2006
The venue of the event will be the International Trade Union House (ITUH), Room B, boulevard du Roi Albert II, 5 - 1210 Brussels and the European Parliament. The meeting starts at 9.00 and ends at 17.00.
Interpretation has been requested as follows:
Active: English, French, German and Italian.
Passive: Danish, Norwegian, Swedish, Czech and Polish.
The aim of this seminar:
The seminar will consist of a full briefing for trade union journalists on the EPSU campaign for an EU framework directive on Services of General interest. The campaign will run throughout 2006-2007.
The TIMING of the seminar (22 June) is very helpful, as it will take place the day after the European Parliament committee for Economic and Monetary Affairs has adopted its opinion on the European Commission's White Paper on Services of General Interest (21 June). The European Parliament will then consider the report in Plenary (3-6 July).
The seminar will:
- Brief trade union journalists on the main aims of the campaign
- Outline the main EU legislative agenda for public services
- Provide examples of positions against a framework directive and explore possible responses from the trade union movement
- Organise individual interviews with Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) responsible for the issues
- Organise joint interviews with European Commission officials
- Organise joint interviews with Committee of the Regions officials
The event is designed to provide a detailed briefing of the MAIN issue for the European Federation of Public Service Unions (EPSU) and also to provide opportunities to interview EU representatives, from a national trade union perspective. It is not the intention that trade union journalists are obliged to follow a particular line and full respect of journalistic independence will be part of the seminar.
Please fill in and return the attached participation form by 1st June at the latest.
- Update on SGI issues