Aquafed - another pressure group for private water
David Hall (PSIRU) and Olivier Hoedmann (Corporate Europe Observatory/TransNational Institute), 21 March 2006
A report commissioned by the European Federation of Public Service Unions (EPSU)
1. Aquafed: a new lobby group for private water
"AquaFed® will be the voice of the private water industry vis-à-vis international organisations."
With an office at the Rond Point Schuman, in the heart of the EU quarter in Brussels, the International Federation of Private Water Operators (AquaFed) has chosen a very prestigious address. This is the most expensive office location in Brussels, but located straight opposite of the European Commission headquarters it is ideal for lobbying purposes. AquaFed's second office is on avenue Hoche in the centre of Paris.
The locations of the two AquaFed offices reflect two key features of this new corporate lobby group, launched in October 2005. Firstly, AquaFed's efforts "to promote private sector participation in water and wastewater management" will be heavily focused on European Union decision-making. Secondly, AquaFed has strong French roots due to its close connections to the French water multinational Suez. AquaFed's president is Gerard Payen, the former CEO and chairman of the Ondeo Group, Suez' water division ; and Jack Moss, Senior Water Advisor at Suez, represents AquaFed at international events.
TABLE OF CONTENT:
1. AQUAFED: A NEW LOBBY GROUP FOR PRIVATE WATER
2. WHY WAS AQUAFED ESTABLISHED
3. AQUAFED'S SECRET MEMBERSHIP
4. AQUAFED'S ETHICS
5. THE MANY HATS OF GÉRARD PAYEN
6. SUEZ AND VEOLIA: NETWORKS OF INFLUENCE
7. EUROPE - SUEZ INFLUENCE ON EC FUNDED RESEARCH
8. SUEZ PRESSURE EC NOT TO FUND CRITICAL RESEARCH
9. UNESCO-IHE: SUEZ FINANCES INSTITUTE, PROFESSOR, COURSE MATERIAL, STUDENTS
10. FUNDING INTERNATIONAL RESEARCH NETWORKS
ANNEXE 1. ASSOCIATIONS IN WHICH SUEZ AND VEOLIA ARE INVOLVED
ANNEXE 2. ANNEXE: A RESPONSE TO THE LETTER FROM DE SILGUY
For the full study:
296 users have voted.