26 September 2013
In January 2004 a Sectoral Social dialogue Committee for Local and Regional government was set up between EPSU and the Employers Platform of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR-EP). The chair of the committee alternates every two years between EPSU and CEMR.
The Committee is now working on its forth work programme covering the period 2011-2013, agreed in the plenary meeting of December 2010. The work programme identifies the following priorities:
Represent employers and trade unions in the local and regional government sector in a social dialogue as intended in the Treaties, have discussions and make joint agreements on issues of common interest;
Strengthen the European social dialogue in the local and regional government sector consistent with the recognition of the general principle of local and regional autonomy conferred by the Lisbon Treaty by:
- organising activities to maintain and reinforce the social dialogue between employer and trade union organisations in local and regional government in the Member States and candidate countries,
- promoting quality local and regional government public services based on values of social and environmental responsibility and accountability and exchange information on labour market issues and promote the interests and good practice in the local and regional government sector,
- responding to consultations and other initiatives by the Commission, Parliament and Council ,being pro-active and influencing legislation and policy in the fields of employment, training, social protection, labour law, health and safety related issues,
- developping and taking agreed positions on issues of policy at the European level for the purposes of dialogue with the European institutions.
Latest Statements and other documents agreed by the Committee include:
- Joint statement signed by EPSU and CEMR supporting the European Cross-Sectoral Framework of Action on tackling youth unemployment October 2013.
- Necessity and nature of a new EU OSH policy framework September 2013
- Framework of action for Local and Regional Government December 2012
- Joint Social Partner Response (Local and Regional Government) to the Green Paper COM (2012) 7 final Restructuring March 2012
- The EC Guide on Socially Responsible Public Procurement (SRPP) June 2011
Joint response by local and regional government social partners to the European Commission Open Consultation on a new “Occupational Safety and Health Policy Framework”
20 February 2013 - Brussels