EPSU German affiliated union Ver.di says No to CETA !
(29 June 2016) As the implications of the EU-Canada trade agreement become known to more and more workers and others, unions are saying NO to this deal. The EPSU campaign started on Public Services Day 23 June. It finds more and more resonance. Many unions are informing their members about what this deal implies for public services, workers and local democracy. Unions and others are making their voice heard across the EU. Despite this the European Commission is ploughing ahead. It intends to introduce the agreement to the Council. The Council, that is the Member States governments, will have to make a decision soon. The recommendation of Europe’s workers is clear: Say no to this deal and listen to the voice of a broad coalition unions, consumers, anti-poverty campaigners, municipalities and environmental organisations.
- Austria : Press release of EPSU affiliated union Younion _ Die Daseinsgewerkschaft
- Austria : AK, ÖGB and DGB have published 4 new CETA brochures (on ICS, regulatory cooperation, public services and labour)
- available in German and English at http://www.oegb.at
- more information about this subject can be found on the ÖGB-Homepage
- Belgium : www.stoppttip.be – www.stopceta.be - Open brief aan de Belgische regeringen en parlamenten (NL) – Lettre ouverte aux Gouvernements et Parlements de Belgique (FR) – Offener Brief an die Regierungen und Parlemente Belgien (DE)
- France : courrier envoyé aux députés et briefing aux membres, CFDT santé-sociaux
- France : Briefing from French affiliates on CETA (FR)
- France & Canada : Joint statement 2016.10.17 from French and Canadian unions oppose ‘Interpretative Declaration’– CETA remains unacceptable for us
- France : CGT declaration on CETA 2016.10.24
- Germany : Press release from EPSU affiliated union in Germany Ver.di
- Italy : UIL di Roma e del Lazio documento critico nei confronti degli accordi commercialiTTIP e CETA in occasione della Giornata Mondiale dei Servizi Pubblici
- Ireland : Impact has held discussions with the ICTU and information seminars.
- Ireland : On 4 October EPSU Irish affiliate IMPACT organizes with the Irish Congress of Trade Unions (ICTU) an event for the media, politicians and stakeholders to launch a new briefing paper ‘NO DEAL: Why Unions Oppose TTIP & CETA:
- Briefing on the Transatlantic Trade & Investment Partnership (TTIP) & Canada Europe Trade Agreement (CETA)
- A summary of some of the key points
- Latvia : Health workers protested against CETA, TTIP and TISA, in solidarity with EU wide demonstrations, 20 September 2016, Riga
- Lithuania : unions expressing solidarity with European demonstrations 19 September 2016
- Slovakia : Action of the Confederation of Trade Unions of the Slovak Republic
- Slovakia : letter from unions to all Ministers & MEPs re : No to CETA
- Spain, FSC-CCOO Resolución del Comité Federal ante la aplicación provisional del Acuerdo Comercial con Canadá (CETA)
- Sweden, Kommunal : blog regarding CETA in Swedish and English
- The Netherlands: Dutch trade union FNV asks Dutch government not to adopt CETA. Seeks openness on TISA negotiations.
- USA, The Modeling Policy Reform, a project that builds on the research collaboration between GDAE (Global Development and Environment Institute at Tufts University) and UNCTAD, has edited a working paper:
CETA Without Blinders: How Cutting ‘Trade Costs and More’ Will Cause Unemployment, Inequality and Welfare Losses in English and French
The Executive Summary (English & French) of the paper gives clear arguments why CETA is a bad deal for citizens.
- Corporate Europe Observatory has on 18 October published an article debunking some of the key myths surrounding the current debate about CETA. "The great CETA swindle"
- European Public Health Alliance (EPHA) position on CETA (October 2016), explaining the risks to public health. The position is accompanied with more detailed annexes and summaries in English, French and Hungarian.
Position EN / Summary EN / Annex EN / French summary / Hungarian summary
- TiSA: Trade in Services Agreement is Bad News for Workers and Communities - ITUC report and Leaflet 10 November 2016
- Transport & Environment (T&E) published on 18 November 2016 a CETA analysis. Conducted jointly with legal NGO ClientEarth, it looks into a number of key areas in CETA with implications for environmental protection.
- French human rights body finds CETA lacking - The French National Consultative Commission for Human Rights (CNCDH) issued on 15 December an opinion about CETA. The opinion is very critical about the potential impacts on human rights, social rights and climate change. The main recommendation is that CETA should be renegotiated and referred to ECJ and French Constitutional Court for review. It also criticizes strongly provisional application.
- Austria Internationaler Tag der öffentlichen Dienste: Öffentliche Daseinsvorsorge unverzichtbar – Nein zu CETA
- Italy documento critico accordi commerciali TTIP e CETA, UIL
- Slovakia letter from unions to all Ministers & MEPs re No to CETA June 2016
- Briefing CETA et les services de santé & sociaux, CFDT France
- Lettre aux députés re CETA, CFDT France
- Resolution FSC-CCOO, Spain, on CETA
- Sweden Kommunal - blog CETA SV-EN
- French affiliates Briefing on CETA Sept 2016 FR
- Briefing IMPACT, Ireland on TTIP & CETA September 2016 EN
- Summary IMPACT, Ireland on key points September 2016 EN
- USA Tufts University, GDAE 16-03 CETA Without Blinders_Working Paper_EN
- USA Tufts University, GDAE 16-03 CETA Without Blinders_Executive Summary_EN
- USA Tufts University, GDAE 16-03 CETA Without Blinders_Working Paper_FR
- USA Tufts University, GDAE 16-03 CETA Without Blinders_Executive Summary_FR
- Joint statement from French and Canadian unions 2016.10.17 oppose ‘Interpretative Declaration’
- EPHA Position How CETA could undermine public health OCT 2016_EN
- EPHA Summary How CETA could undermine public health OCT 2016_EN
- EPHA Annex How CETA could undermine public health OCT 2016_EN
- EPHA How CETA could undermine public health OCT 2016_FR
- EPHA How CETA could undermine public health OCT 2016_HUEPHA How CETA could undermine public health OCT 2016_HU